The Mountain Research Initiative (MRI) promotes and coordinates global change research in mountain regions, and to achieve this goal, we are looking for an enthusiastic and skilled Communications Manager to join our team at the MRI’s Coordination Office, located at the University of Bern.
Your tasks and responsibilities include:
- Strategy: Enhance and implement a general communications strategy, as well as a strategy for the use of social media.
- Corporate design: Update the MRI poster and flyer and other material, as well as website consistent with a new corporate design. Execute the graphic and web design and collaborate with consultants as needed.
- Website: Make updates and continuous improvements on content matter and functionalities, managing larger updates via contracts with consultants.
- Database: Maintain and enhance the MRI’s Expert database, which in June 2017 consists of over 10,000 entries. Supervise collaborators who work on the database.
- Publications and newsletters: Develop and publish monthly email newsletters for MRI’s global audience, including content contributions from our regional partners. Compile and send newsletters with the support of the Communications Assistant.
- Science communication and journalism: Develop and publish regular science journalism articles, highlighting the work of key research promoted by MRI to its scientific and broader public audiences.
- Events: When needed, assist in the planning and implementation for a range of largely scientific events, such as workshops, seminars and conferences.
- Supervision: Supervise communication assistant(s).
- Collaboration: Participate and contribute to MRI Coordination Office activities, as well as collaborate with MRI office staff, partner organizations and MRI's Science Leadership Council on events, projects and publications, with a view towards broader audience reach, impact and greater visibility.
Your qualifications include:
- Training and relevant experience in communications management and/or science communication/journalism, with formal qualification in a relevant field(s) considered a plus.
- Training, experience and skills in the management of websites.
- Aptitude, skills and a technical flair for working with a large database.
- Familiarity with the production of online and print media, with a creative sense for graphic design.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously, adopting an efficient and independent yet collaborative work style.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, with very good knowledge of English and at least one Swiss national language (written and spoken).
The 50% full-time equivalent position (21 hours/week) will start on 1 October 2017
and continue until 30 September 2019. Employment beyond this date is contingent on further funding available. The salary level is set by the employment procedures of the Canton of Bern. For further information or in case of any questions, please visit our website http://mri.scnatweb.ch
or email the MRI Executive Director, Carolina Adler, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please send a cover letter that specifically addresses how your training and experience match each of the tasks and qualifications listed for this position, as well as an accompanying CV (max. 4 pages) and a sample of your best written material (max. 1 page) and/or link(s) to an online portfolio with samples of your work, to:
Dr. Carolina Adler
The Mountain Research Initiativecarolina.email@example.com
Please submit your application via email in a single PDF attachment
, with the subject line “MRI Communications Manager (50%)
”. Deadline for application is midnight 30 June 2017 (CET).