Earth observations for the Paris agreement.
GEO invites climate partners and those interesting in contributing to our efforts in support of the Paris Climate Agreement to join us for the 1st GEO Climate Workshop: Earth Observations for the Paris Agreement in Geneva, Switzerland, following the 2018 GEO Symposium.
The workshop will take stock of climate initiatives and activities in the GEO Work Programme and beyond, including the work of key organizations including GCOS, IPCC, WMO and UNFCCC, in order to identify gaps and develop tangible action areas. It will address all relevant areas in the Paris Agreement, focusing on areas where GEO can provide most added value: adaptation, loss & damage and capacity development.
The overall objectives of the workshop are to:
Who should attend?
- enhance the understanding of how the Earth Observation community can support the implementation of the Paris Agreement, and;
- to discuss a more integrated approach to climate across the GEO Work Programme.
- Representatives of relevant GEO activities:
- GEO-C, GFOI, Blue Planet, Regional Initiatives and others
- International organizations:
- UNFCCC, IPCC, WMO, CEOS, GCOS, WCRP etc. (to give guidance/advice and ensure policy linkages)
- National representatives
- In particular from Small Island States and Least Developed Countries (to bring the perspective on needs for adaptation and loss & damage)